To Make Herbal Honey
1. Use 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs, or half a teaspoon of dried herbs for every 2 cups of honey.
2. If the herbs are fresh, grind them well to aid in the infusion.
3. Tie the herbs in cheesecloth.4. In a pot, warm the honey and herbs. It is important not to heat the honey too much or the enzymes will be destroyed. Simply warm the honey to a temperature well below 115 degrees.
5. Put the honey and the herbs into a large canning jar with a tight fitting lid.
6. Let the honey sit in at room temperature in a dark place for at least one week.
7. Heat the honey just to warm and press the liquid out of the herbs.
Tips for Making Herbal Honey:
* You can also chop the herbs finely and leave the herbs in the honey.
* Using more herbs will shorten the amount of time it takes to infuse the honey.
* Allowing the herbs to infuse into the honey longer will strengthen the medicinal properties of the herbal honey.
Commonly used Herbs for Infusing Honey and Their Medicinal Value:
* Cayenne Pepper: Aches & Pains, Arthritis, Cough, Digestion/Indigestion, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Headache, Heart Tonic, IBS, Lupus
* Chamomile: Anxiety, Burns, Candida, Depression, Digestion, Eczema, Female Tonic, Gingivitis, IBS, Insomnia, Stress, Toothache
* Cinnamon: Candida, Colds, Diabetes, Digestion, Fungus Infections, IBS, Flu. Nausea
* Dandelion: Alcoholism, Bladder Infection, Memory/Focus, Bronchitis, Cholesterol Control, Colds, Digestion, Female Tonics, IBS, Liver, Respiratory, Osteoporosis, PMS
* Fennel: Arthritis, Congestion, Cough, Digestion, Gout, Lupus, Menopause, Weight Loss
* Garlic: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Burns, Cancer, Candida, Cholesterol, Colds, Fungus, Heart Tonics, Herpes, Flu, Respiratory, Sinusitis, Sore Throat *Honey Infused with Garlic makes an excellent sore throat remedy!
* Ginger: Arthritis, Cholesterol, Colds, Digestion, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Heart Tonic, IBS, Lupus, Nausea
* Lavender: Anxiety, Arthritis, Burns, Candida, Colds, Depression, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Headache, Hypertension, IBS, Insomnia, Lupus, Nausea
* Lemon Balm: Colds, Depression, Heart Tonics, Herpes, Nausea, Sore Throat and Laryngitis
* Peppermint: Allergies, Anxiety, Bronchitis, Chronic Fatigue, Colds, Congestion, Cough, Headache, Heart Tonics, IBS, Flu, Respiratory, Nausea, Sinus
* Rosemary: Anxiety, Arthritis, Asthma, Memory, Bronchitis, Cholesterol, Chronic Fatigue, Colds, Gout, Heart Tonics, IBS, Respiratory, Lupus
* Sage: Memory, Menopause
* Thyme: Congestion, Cough, Respiratory, Toothache