You can make herbal oils from your own homegrown herbs. These oils can be used in cooking or as salad dressing. Some of the best herbs to use for flavoring oil include basil, chives, coriander, dill, fennel, lemon verbena, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme
1. Place the herb in a sterile glass bottle.
2. Cover the herb completely with extra virgin olive oil.
3. The oil can be warmed if desired to speed the extraction of the flavors from the herb, but it is not required.
4. Label the bottle with the type of herb and the date the oil was prepared.
5. Always store herbal oils in the refrigerator! Use the herbal oil within 1 week, or freeze.
6. It is important that herbal oil be used or frozen within 1 week to prevent botulism.
7. If you are adding vegetables such as garlic or peppers to your oil, soak them in apple cider vinegar for 24 hours before adding them to your cooking or salad oil.